[CAUT] Hammers are felt springs--was Steinway....

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Sun Mar 6 15:05:37 MST 2011

 Hi Paul
  Thanks for the straight forward reply. Hey I know Wally too and he is the friend of so many. I just find it good natured amusing to see that kind of warm affection supplant the other real product name. Really, he's done so much and dersves that. As a point of clarity there is also the Abel product sold by Piano-tek but I think we know the difference usually. A few brief comments interspersed below.
 If we could limit the limitations of the comments to small practice rooms and studios becasue that is what I expereinced again last week.  A newer Mason A with the usual hammers that I had to annihilate to get them into a better place. I was still not pleased.

 Dale S. Erwin
www.Erwinspiano.com

Paul williams
Subject: Re: [CAUT] Hammers are felt springs--was Steinway....

Hi Dale
I think it might be a good idea forall of us to contact hammer producers to develop some sort of a soft (nottoo much so) hammer designed for just practice rooms and other small teacherstudios, etc.  I'm wondering if there would be a market for this.
  There has been such a hammer and a market for the past 15 years. The Ronsen VFG and more recently Wurzen AA felt.
 It is the VFG hammer that originally got my attention in approx 1993 or 4. I heard an upright at a fellow techs shop. Ater listening carefully my inquiry was, that hammer?  He told me and the next question was, what did you do to them.  He said..Nothing.  I just got them in. In disbelief I said really? Yup Clear, excellent sustain and a fine blend of partials. On most uprights where these have been installed, so the experience was repeatable with consistency. Have installed several dozens of these for private clients mainly and also institutions.
  After installing my first set it became my default hammer of choice. Nice clear sound, no juice and no needling. Minor needling later and the hold fantastic.  For uprights and practice room/small studio rooms being able to install this type of hammer was a low cost value added product for the University & for me. The hold up famously well. Yeah I know, to good to be true.
 On as scale of 1 to 10 if no.1 is a cotton ball and no. 10 is a rock where on the stiffness gradient would you like your practice room/small room hammer to be for this application?

   I spend a lot of time voicing down practice grands that are played16 hours a day.  No matter what I put on them, they're harsh and painfulin just a few months, but built well enough to handle quite a few yearsof abuse.
  This would not be your experience if you decide to install a set of these so I encourage you to try the VFG Ronsen hammer and stop the bleeding out of your ears
  On the other hand, I don't want to startout with a "mushy" sound that will only get to a nice level in6 months.
There are no hammers in the Ronsen family I would describe as mushy.  David Love described them well in a recent post.  These students who play these pianos have futures that are sittingthere in our hands to make them work and sound properly, so I think theremust be a "happy family" somewhere. We have to keep in mind whywe're all here....for the students, mostly.  The stage is a totallydifferent issue. I agree. Hey We all started somewhere

Anything to lesson this massive careof practice pianos is all welcome to me.  I'll make you  a deal.
  Paul, heres my offer....Pick a practice room piano. I'll provide you with a set of VFG felt up. hammers and if you do not like them don't pay for them. I am that confident.
 I have installed them in Yamaha P202s,P22s of several versions. Kawai up. Baldwin Hamiltons etc. Yamaha and Kawai grands of many sizes.
 More Technician feed back as of last night at the West-pac convention:
  I spoke with Steve Brady & Nick Gravange who both took me aside privately to tell me enthusiastically how pleased they were and what a great tonal platform the new Weickert hammers were. Steve said he couldn't believe how even and beautiful the tone was and how little he had to do in a Falcone .
Nick said he used the set I sent him in a BB Mason for a performance venue and he inquired as to my voicing protocol. He did use some 8 to 1 solution to get them up a bit in the bass and a weaker solution higher up to get it where the room and others thought it should be. A further comment was if it would had been his piano in his own home he would have done nothing at all.

 Or, I'll just have to keepthe needles in good supply. BTW, I do steam them as a "quick"fix...with a capachino steamer which the students find fascinating to watch!
  Wouldn't it be great to stop or seriously limit all the voicing gymnastics Paul? I feel your pain
 learned this from Roger Gable about 15 years ago. Nice quick fix. If the hammers are rocks, however, it doesn't really work well andI don't run the steamer over them more than twice.

What say you fellow CAUT's?? I'm I outin left field....again :>(???  just trying to learn this crazycaut thing!!
 I would enjoy hearing feedback as well
  Thanks Paul
Best,
Paul