[CAUT] Voicing: hammer density and tone color

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun Mar 6 15:36:35 MST 2011

Bulky heavy and soft won't develop.  Light, trim and soft will.  In fact,
light, trim and soft(ish) may not even need to develop that much.  (A trim
hammer versus a bulky hammer I define as the thickness of felt over the
molding).  Whether you start with a soft hammer or a hard hammer the goal is
pretty much the same, much like you describe below.  Firm under the crown
and flexible shoulders.  If the hammer is firm to begin with you have to
make the shoulders flexible.  If the hammer is soft to begin with you don't
have to make the shoulders flexible but you might have to make the area
under the crown firm(er).  If the hammer is light and trim (and a proper
high action ratio to accompany it) then you'll get power (from the speed of
the hammer), high partial development (due to quick escapement from the
string) and possibly even a wider dynamic range because you'll be able to
play softer and perhaps control the upper partial development better.  If
the hammer is hard, bulky and heavy, you'll need it hard to develop upper
partials and to offset the loss of power that results from the loss of speed
from the lower ratio (hopefully).  So putting the specific soundboard
response and scale requirements aside for a minute, what's better?  A
rhetorical question really because I'm not necessarily suggesting there's an
answer--there are other variables.  But if the scale and board can handle
light, trim and soft with a high action ratio then one could certainly argue
that that's a good choice.  If the board and scale are heavy, you'll
probably need a harder *and* heavier hammer (hard and light is a bad
combination and doesn't sound very good).  So rather than looking at hard
versus soft, it's more important to look at hardness combined with weight
and bulk and not either of those two things separately.  I'm assuming that
whichever way we go (heavy or light, bulky or trim) the hammer is a quality
hammer meaning deeply interlocking felt with a lot of tension.  What varies
will be the density.  I have generally found that lighter, less bulky,
softer hammers give greater clarity and tonal range than harder, heavier,
more bulky hammers assuming there isn't an overriding reason (belly and
scale requirements) to have to go the heavier/harder route.

With respect to the Steinway hammer, it fails the weight/density/bulk
compatibility test, in my view.  It is a low density hammer that has high
weight and high bulk.  So, you have to use hardeners.  While I know you can
get some decent results with (or in spite of) hardeners (although the piano
I heard last night at WestPac was a great example of the horrors of lacquer
IMHO), personally, I don't like it and would never choose a hammer that
would require 3-4 (or more) applications of lacquer if I had any other
choice, and assuming I wasn't being threatened with death or termination to
stray from the manufacturer's own product.  Not only does it compromise the
tone in the short run but even more so in the long run as the lacquer
continues to harden and eventually renders the felt immobile.  That's not to
say that people don't learn to play the piano that way or that technicians
owing to their great skill and experience can't make it acceptable, even
nice (maybe), but it's not something I would purposefully choose in order to
achieve some idealized goal.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com