[CAUT] New Format--yuck

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon Mar 7 09:34:49 MST 2011

On Mar 7, 2011, at 8:31 AM, David Love wrote:

> I'm sure that the move to do this was well intended but in terms of my
> participation, I can see this has just added enough unnecessary
> steps to
> make it questionable as to whether it's worth the trouble.  It's
> certainly
> less expedient and that may be enough to push me out of active
> participation.  If that was the intention, to make it just that much
> more
> difficult to try and remove some of the chatty garbage that tends to
> clog
> the lists then I would say it's a success.  But if the idea is to
> encourage
> participation by making it easier, then so far it's a failure.

	I don't know anything about interfacing with this using PDA, but I
have found, through a good bit of fooling around to learn the ropes,
that with a laptop it isn't so bad. Certainly different, and not as
convenient, but I am happy to put up with that extra bit of work in
exchange for all the positives. (Maybe the confusion about where posts
come from is due to the PDA notification as opposed to the text option
I use - it is easy to see the difference by the heading showing where
the post came from: caut vs. noreply at egroups).
	We are used to a listserv, with instant communication in a fairly
chatty format. We have two lists, each of which is pretty general in
content. Topics ebb and flow, threads last a while and die.
Participation is essentially dominated by maybe 20 people on each
list. Lots and lots of people try them and find them far too time-
consuming to participate in, keep up with.
	The format of more focused discussion groups ("communities") has the
potential of keeping threads alive for longer,going into topics in
more depth with less repetition, getting more participation from a
variety of people. They offer the opportunity to post files, once and
for all, for anyone to search and use (no more posts asking someone or
other to give yet for the umpteenth time a spreadsheet for X). The
archives become that much more easily searchable.
	I, for one, will abandon the listserv quite happily. It will be quite
different, but change isn't always a bad thing.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
“Art is not a mirror held up to reality, but a hammer with which to
shape it.” Brecht