[CAUT] Steinway sound

David Stanwood stanwood at tiac.net
Wed Mar 9 05:39:53 MST 2011

Mr. Love,

In regards to your statement:

>I don't know about a "non-steinway" touch but the Stanwood system users
>sometimes push the lower limits of action ratios with the belief that if low
>inertia is good, lower is even better. <snip>

This is hogwash. ;-)

The motivation to push the lower limits of action ratios is always
client driven.  Precision Touch Design installers are trained to make
a determinations based on qualitative (listening to the client and
the piano) and quantitative (touch weight metrology) information.
Then, using our collective experience and wisdom, we make a judgement
as to the best combination of touch design parameters that will
satisfy the client.  If pushing the limits makes them happy then
we've succeeded.

Our limit for dip is 10.5mm.  If the so called traditional specs are
to be sacrificed for low ratio in order to achieve aftertouch, then
it should be in cramming the blow.

Extreme low ratios are not in the realm of "Steinway Touch".   I
would characterize that as simply a firm solid touch that a
professional pianist can really dig into.  This kind of touch has
been produced by many variations of action ratio and hammer weights
over the years.

SALA pianos (pianos with Stanwood Adjustable Leverage Action) are
providing choice to the pianist and informative feedback to the piano
designer.  We've only just begun to take data in Conservatories as to
what the most preferred ratio settings are.  The Steinway D which we
showcased at the PNWC in Seattle last year was played by three
professional pianists during the conference and each preferred a
medium heavy setting but one preferred a medium light setting for
certain repertoire.

This SALA Steinway D had 1/4 high hammer Strike Weights which give an
appropriate Steinway Sound for concert stage.  On the medium high
setting the ratio would be 5.7 with a 41 Balance Weight (53 down
weight with 12 friction).   On the Medium Light setting the ratio
would be 5.3 with a 35 balance weight (47 down weight with 12
friction).

David Stanwood

"Just trying to help"