[CAUT] Steinway sound

David Stanwood stanwood at tiac.net
Thu Mar 10 06:39:05 MST 2011

Bob Hull wrote:

>I took the "dig-in" description to refer to resistance rather than
>amount of key dip.  There is a feeling of control that comes with an
>acceptable level of weight/resistance.  Client input doesn't have to
>include tech terminology but still needs to be heard.  The challenge
>is how to physically introduce them to the options.

Bob,

Yes it was referring to dynamic touchweight-  actual playing force
which we don't have a way of measuring.  We can only associate
various combinations of hammer weight, leverage, key weighing and
voicings with dynamic qualities of touch that the players report to
us.   I don't ask clients to understand leverage or any other
technical concept, unless they ask.  I do ask them to play the piano
and tell us what they feel. Feelings are always on the mark.  I think
pianist all the credit for giving us direction in our work.  It's up
to us to figure out what they are saying.

The adjustable leverage action certainly is becoming an invaluable
tool in my shop.  Clients can play my demo piano at various settings
and tell me what they feel.  It's incredibly helpful in giving me
direction in how to set up their customized action.

David Stanwood