Accutuner

Michael Wathen 556-9565 Michael.Wathen@UC.Edu
Mon, 15 Aug 1994 22:54:00 -0500 (EST)

I have so much else to do and worry about when it comes to servicing pianos that
I prefer to rely almost totally on the Accutuner.  I use Sanderson's Generic
Pitch Raise tuning for almost nearly every piano I tune.  I believe that this
tuning is an average of maybe fifty tunings of his.  If I was really concerned I
would prefer to change his tuning so that the bass octaves were something
greater than a 6-3 octave.  This would only apply to the bigger grands.  The 6-3
octaves that the FAC tuning spits out is alright for the smaller pianos.

Sometimes I notice a sort of non progression in the F2-C3 range but I generally
don't correct it unless the fifths are to noisy.  After having studied
historical tunings for years I really don't ever get excited about raising
thirds.

Using the Accutuner
I tune the treble string for string from about G4 to the top.  There ends up
being about a dozen or so unisons that can't be tuned that way.  In general,
when I tune a good instrument my greatest concern is stability and I think my
steadfast endeavor to tune as stable as possible has made me the tuner that I
am.  The Accutuner is a gift that frees up my concentration time to devote to
stability and unisons.