accutuners

Newton Hunt nhunt@gandalf.rutgers.edu
Tue, 16 Aug 1994 09:55:21 -0400 (EDT)

I agree!

I have been using the SAT for about eight years and offer the following
observations.

    I am "addicted" but in the sense the I prefer to use a drill press
    in many situations instead of a brace and bit.  The SAT is
    essentially a power tool.

    On a decent piano (note that I did not say instrument) I
    would defy any tuner to distinguish between a good SAT
    tuning and an aural tuning while the piano is being played.

    During the recital period I have followed an SAT tuning with
    an aural tuning and find myself making such minute changes
    that the differences are inconsequential.

    I do like to tune my bass flatter and my treble not quite
    as high in the last half octave.  Further I prefer to tune
    my fifth and sixth octaves minutely higher.

    SAT tuning MUST excersize their ears by tuning aurally as
    often as is reasonalbe to maintain their aural skills.

    Pitch changing with the SAT is so much easier, stable, accu-
    rate and consistant that I absolutely dread having to do it by
    ear.  (The humidity range is from 15% to 85%.)

I love my SAT and would not give it up any more than I would my power
screwdirver, drill press, bandsaw, computer, grinder, polisher or car.

Let's get real!  It's a superior tool.  It works VERY well.  And I need all
the help I can get caring for 130+ pianos!!

         Newton J. Hunt