help list

Jack Reeves reevesj@BYUGATE.BYU.EDU
Mon, 17 Oct 1994 12:20:27 -0700

Rick Florence, a new subscriber from Arizona State University, asked
for help accessing the archives for our list, and rather than just
send it to him privately, I'll send it out to the list in case others
can use some help also.

When you ask the listserv for "help" you should receive about 3 pages
of instructions.  On my pages, I have numbered the request options as
     FIRST PAGE                  SECOND PAGE
     1. help                     8. run
     2. set                      9. lists
     3. subscribe               10. index
     4. unsubscribe             11. get
     5. review                  12. view
     6. information             13. search
     7. statistics              14. fax
                                15. release
My third page has requests that are list owner specific, and I am
probably the only one that can run them.  If you try to run them the
listserv sends me a message that there has been a "hacker attack"
from your email name and address.  (AHEMMMMM, RICK!)

To get into the archives, use #10 index, so the command is
          index pianotech
and the command is sent to    listserv@byu.edu

You will get a listing of everything in the pianotech archives.
It includes an ID number, the size of the file, and the digest
number.  To retrieve any of the digests, send to   listserv@byu.edu
and say        get pianotech pianotech.217.94          (this is for
Digest #1; use the appropriate numbers for the other digests-it will
be obvious when you get the index message.

Index is request #10, and get is request #11.

More information is available about each request from the listserv
with the command         help (request)
For instance, send the command          help get
and you will receive a page of instructions about how to use the
request   "get".  Remember to send all of these requests to listserv
and not to pianotech and always leave the subject blank.

Now to another subject, a subscriber wrote me privately last week
concerned about the harshness toward Steinway in some of the recent
messages.  Since I was also uncomfortable with those messages, could
I ask that strong negatives against a specific company not be aired
on the pianotech list.  Obviously, we can and should discuss problems
and how to solve them, but please, not something that approaches
"bashing".

Thanks, and have a good week everyone.

Jack Reeves, BYU
jack_reeves@byu.edu