help list

Ron Torrella torrella@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Mon, 17 Oct 1994 16:32:52 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 17 Oct 1994, Jack Reeves wrote:

> Now to another subject, a subscriber wrote me privately last week
> concerned about the harshness toward Steinway in some of the recent
> messages.  Since I was also uncomfortable with those messages, could
> I ask that strong negatives against a specific company not be aired
> on the pianotech list.  Obviously, we can and should discuss problems
> and how to solve them, but please, not something that approaches
> "bashing".

Jack -

*Candid* discussion includes reading/listening to opinions that may or
may not agree with our individual sensitivities.  Asking the readership
to refrain from such candor under the guise of self-censorship for the
sake of perhaps a minority of the readership is, nonetheless,
censorship.

I don't know which Steinway missive the offended reader read, but I don't
recall seeing offensive material in this list.  While I respect the
(apparent) wish of the offended individual to remain anonymous, perhaps
it would only be fair to resubmit the offending piece so that the general
readership may comment on its content.  If the writer (Gosh!  Was it
me!?) wishes to retract or defend his/her statement(s), then that should
be their prerogative.  But asking us to censor our insights and
observations is tantamount to issuing a gag order.

I will quickly agree that remarks directed at individuals which serve
only to denigrate (such as a personal attack)--whether members of the
list or not--do not belong here.  The purpose of this list (as I
understand it) is essentially the _free_ exchange of ideas and discussion
of relevant issues as they relate to piano technicians regardless of
which venue the individuals serve.  Clearly, personal attacks on
individuals is irrelevant to the membership at large and should therefore
be discouraged and ignored when they appear.  As I stated in an earlier
message, there are two ways to deal with offensive writers; hit the delete
key whenever you see their name; hit the reply key and reply directly to
the individual.  In other words, either avoid the issue or address it
directly--leaving the general readership out of the argument.

I hope you will reconsider the request that the list membership censor
their writings.  It could seriously undermine free discussion of
issues--yes, even issues which may make some feel uncomfortable.

Regards,

Ron Torrella
School of Music
University of Illinois