Plate refinishing...

CRANE@TWSUVM.UC.TWSU.EDU CRANE@TWSUVM.UC.TWSU.EDU
Mon, 17 Oct 1994 09:45:46 -0500 (CDT)

Many THANKS!! to Terry Barrett, RPT at Fresno for changing the subject!
Though, some of 'us' may not think so after wading through the following :).

Here at Wichita State, we usually use the Star Chemical ""Spray-Lac" in
'piano gold' color (as previously mentioned by our colleague at U of IL).
It seems to be a pretty good all-around compromise among the miriad of OEM
(thats 'original equipment manufacturers' NOT some on-line service etc
;-) colors though I would not use it on Bosendorfer or some vintages of
Steinway or others with markedly different plate colors or finishes.
Regarding those brown wrinkle-type finished Steinway plates, the previous
incarnation of piano technician here (Marvin Rus, RPT now at Eastman)
got a local paint shop to mix up a batch of lacquer which is remarkably
close to the original shade.  It goes on glossy and does not 'wrinkle'
but is otherwise almost identical and looks great!

When I spray a plate, I use spray cans just because they are more
convenient and are fine for the color undercoat.  Those plastic trigger
handles that snap onto the spray cans help cut down on finger fatigue and make
them somewhat easier to control.  I usually remember to wash the plate
down with lacquer thinner prior to spraying (I forgot once and had
trouble with the gold lacquer lifting in some areas--not good!).

The next step is to turn the plate bottom-side up and mask off
the capo bar bearing area where I do not want paint (this has already
been dressed, ground, filed, etc.).  Then I spray all areas from the
underside which I might not be able to reach adequately from above such
as the round (?) cutouts along the curved side, bottoms & edges of plate
struts, plate horn, capo bar bevels, and ALL other edges.  Yes, this
does make a difference!

Then I turn the plate over and spray the topside gold.
After that, any plate lettering is blacked-in or outlined
depending on the particular plate.  I usually use a black felt-tip
marker for this and some experimentation is in order here to make sure
that the result will be 'fast' under the coats of clear lacquer which
will follow.  Also, some of those "permanent black" inks will fade to a
semi-transparent brownish hue over time and this does NOT look good.

Other plate decals and/or serial numbers & letters are applied next.
I like to use dry transfer lettering which is quick and easy,
relatively inexpensive, and can look very good.  Decals Unlimited,
in addition to their other products offers dry transfer 'wire size'
numbering similar to that which Steinway and others put in the tuning
pin area of their plates which is immensely preferable to my free-hand
renderings!

When the color, lettering, etc., is all acceptable I spray
the plate (topside only) with two to four coats of clear gloss lacquer
which locks all the previous work down and together, evens out some
of the minor surface irregularities and gives a nice 'whole and complete'
effect to the finish.

Gold lacquer, from the same cans used to spray the
plate, is retained for brush touch-up of all the 'dings' from
plate installation, stringing, etc..

THAT ... is how I refinish plates, at this point anyway...these
things have a way of changing now and then.

(See what you did, Terry?  It must be like they say, that "the keyboard
is mightier than the sword"!) :-)

Thanks for LISTening, all!  I had no intention of waxing quite so
verbose.  Its back to 'lurking' now (or should that be 'working'...
I never could figure that out :-( ... oh well!)

Alan Crane, RPT (esquire?)
Wichita State University