Listserv plans

McNeilTom@aol.com McNeilTom@aol.com
Thu, 03 Aug 1995 10:52:25 -0400

Hello, Colleagues, from Tom McNeil!

As (temporary) chair of PTG's College & University Technicians' Committee, I
feel I should weigh in on the listserv issue.

College & University Technicians' Committee was where Pianotech, or at least
its predecessor, originated, as a forum for techs in higher ed to discuss
their various problems and solutions.  Naturally, some of these concerns will
be peculiar to the academic setting, but probably many more are
general-technical.  These latter will benefit greatly from a large list, as
recent threads bear out.

It seems to me that we have spawned a terrific resource in Pianotech, an
example of the technicians in academia leading the way, as is appropriate.
 Technicians in academia often have resources beyond those of our colleagues
in private enterprise, e.g., well-equipped shops, inventories of good pianos,
time and lattitude to experiment, support from other departments on campus,
and even free computer equipment and Internet access.  An important function
of the university is research.  We technicians in higher ed are doing such
research, however "scientific" or "impirical".  If we share the questions and
results of such research, we are indeed fulfilling the role that defines us
as college and university technicians.  Meanwhile, we must realize that very
valuable research is being done outside academia - and you never know where!

With these factors in mind, I think Pianotech should remain open to all
interested.  I agree wilth those who call for descriptive Subject lines,
private replies where appropriate, and other points of etiquette which make
for a more efficient and pleasant environment.

Perhaps we will never wear out our welcome at BYU, especially if the
administrators there realize how important Pianotech is.  My experience has
been that universities love to be in the limelight.  In any case, I'm sure
BYU would have the good grace to give us time to develop an alternative
before giving us the boot.  Perhaps its time for Vince or Jack to actually
take the question to the sysop at BYU so we can lay the issue to rest.

It's good to be back on line!

Tom McNeil, Vermont Piano Restorations
(formerly of State University of New York, Fredonia)