pinning techniques

Thomas D. Seay, III t.seay@mail.utexas.edu
Fri, 11 Aug 1995 05:54:22 -0500

>I employ a very simmilar technique to Don Mannino's article of recent. What I
>would like to know is if you fellows consider it to be acceptable to size the
>bushing with a 1 size over pin loaded into a dremel. The size pin used could
>change of course depending on the desired result. It seems to me a much more
>expedient way of accomplishing the same task without all that tedious hand
>reaming. Any thoughts?
>                                                                   Greg
>Newell

Greg,

The tedious hand reaming, if done properly, assures a consistent fit from
center to center, while a reamer,  spinning at over 30,000 rpm, would be
difficult to control and could lead to some great variations in the fit of
the centers, due to the heat build-up and friction of the spinning pin.

Sometimes the best results simply take a little extra time to achieve. In
an area as critical to proper action performance as pinning, I would take
my time to insure the best results.

Good luck.

Tom Seay
t.seay@mail.utexas.edu