dead Bass strings/why?

Hrschm@aol.com Hrschm@aol.com
Thu, 24 Aug 1995 22:34:00 -0400

I recently took over the tuning job for a small college. The last guy who had
the job had stocked up on spare sets of bass strings for several of the
pianos and stored them hanging on a rack in the storage room. They may have
been there as long as ten years I do not know but they are quite tarnished.
When I went to use one i found it to be as dull and tubby sounding as they
get. Trying others I found all I tried to be this way. Can Bass strings go
bad or "die" just by sitting around unused? Can They be revived ? Has anyone
else had this experience?

                                                                       thanks
for any feedback      Russell Schmidt R.P.T.

                                                                    Lexington
KY.