Steinway upright rebuilding

Scott Thile SETHILE@MSUMUSIK.MURSUKY.EDU
Thu, 24 Aug 1995 22:39:48 -0600 (CST)

Newton Hunt writes:

> Hi David,
> Boy, you have bitten off a good sized bite.

Amen to that Newton, I have just finished an old Steinway upright
that was a lot of unforseen work.

> This should be an exceptionally well devoloped scale so would
>surprise me if you find much to change.

I aggree and second the motion.  Why mess with such a succesful scale.

>     If you are going to change the butts of the piano you might also
>think of changing the damper levers and felts.

I ended up having to change the damper levers on my project as well.
The only problem was the cost. 350.00+ for upright damper flanges. WOW.
These old levers get very brittle and break at the pin because the
wood is very narrow there.

These are nice pianos when properly rebuilt but the parts were all
very expensive.

Good luck David.

Scott E. Thile, Piano/Instrument Tech Phone: (502)762-4396
MSU (Murray State University)         Home : (502)753-9912
Email sethile@msumusik.mursuky.edu