Brass Tuning Finger...

Ron Torrella torrella@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Sun, 01 Jan 1995 21:21:23 -0600

In answer to the question of how the "finger" is held, it is held
laterally across the hand.  The velcro encircles the hand and is fastened
in place (read "adjustable") so that it doesn't move at all.  It's not
tight enough to constrict but it's not loose enough to slip round the
hand either.  The circumference of the "finger" is such that my
fingernails -- which occasionally get longer than any serious pianist
would allow -- do not dig into my hand as I apply the test blow.  I've
found on larger guage models that I didn't feel in control and the
smaller guage ones were just uncomfortable.

My test blows aren't so strident that they produce piles of busted up
action parts or strings.  They *do* go beyond what I anticipate would be
the loudest triple or quadruple forte that your average "piss and
vinegar" pianist might accomplist in the heat of the concert.  It's been
my experience that this approach provides a very stable tuning -- one
that will last through the concert and most recording sessions, both very
demanding arenas.

I haven't experienced the muscle or joint fatigue my former colleague,
Steve Manley, left the profession with.  (He complained of pain in his
pounding arm and was treated with some kind of electro-shock therapy -- in
his hand -- which seemed to work just fine for a while.  But then he'd
have to go back for more treatment.)

Using my bare fingers to pound the strings -- even a mild blow -- is
unacceptable for me.  They get too sore too fast.  It makes playing the
piano unpleasant when your fingers smart!  And I gotta perform I'm done
tuning....  :-)

Best wishes in the New Year, y'all!

Ron Torrella                  "Dese are de conditions dat prevail."
School of Music                           --Jimmy Durante
University of Illinois