Test Blows

k.swafford@genie.geis.com k.swafford@genie.geis.com
Mon, 2 Jan 95 09:38:00 UTC

 Richard West wrote:

 >In addition multiple strikes tell a lot about stability.  Four or
 >five, quick, light to moderate test blows will test stability better
 >than one or two hard strikes.  And too hard a blow will destabilize
 >the string so that on soft blows the pitch will rise.  In any case,
 >(not to belabor the old aural-electronic debate) I've noticed a marked
 >improvement in my stability since using the ETD.

      To guard against, or actually undo, the effects of too-heavy test
 blows, one can make certain that strings sound a long time after the
 blows;  Rick Baldassin's technique of putting the damper pedal down
 and playing up and down the keyboard, leaving all the strings to sound
 at once, can go a long way towards stabilizing things.

 >Unfortunately, I still have occasional problems with split finger
 >tips (ouch!).  Any "tips" on handcreams to avoid dry skin?

      I'm a fairly heavy pounder and don't use hand-held beaters.  My
 fingertips used to split open every winter.  I solved the problem with
 a trip to the office-supply store to buy "finger-grips," you know, the
 rubber finger-tip covers used by paper-pushers to help them speed
 through stacks and stacks of paper.  I pound with my thumb, index-,
 middle-, and ring-fingers pressed together as one, but my index- and
 middle-fingers bear the brunt of the abuse, so I wear the finger
 covers only on those two fingers.  The covers provide just enough
 padding, and keep the fingertips moist enough, that they don't get
 injured, or at least, haven't for several years.  (I don't know where
 this idea originated, certainly not with me.  I just know it works.)

      Happy New Year.

                                              Kent Swafford