bridge caps - or not

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Tue, 03 Jan 1995 11:08:40 -0600

At  7:44 AM 12/28/94 -0700, CRANE@TWSUVM.UC.TWSU.EDU wrote:
>Has anyone done much renotching of 'capless' bridges during repinning?
>I have not yet had the opportunity to do this but I suspect that it
>might be something of a challenge (to put it lightly).

------------

        A few years ago I rebuilt a Concert Grotrian from about 1935 with a
solid bridge.  It was probably the thickest bridge I've ever seen and was
in good condition.  I suppose that it was beech with grain running neither
horizontal or vertical but at about 45 degrees.  Epoxying, renotching, and
repinning all proceeded normally, and it turned out fine but can you
imagine a 9' concert grand without any nosebolts?  The plate is actually
quite light, consisting mainly of struts and I have tended to blaim the
missing nosebolts for its resistance to a stable tuning.  Once I get it
tuned it holds normally but it is always a wrestling match to pin it down.

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College
johnsond@stolaf.edu