Angular Acceleration in a Piano Key

Ron Torrella torrella@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Thu, 05 Jan 1995 16:33:06 -0600

Inertia.  Don't get me started!  I have wrestled with this question (how
does interia figure into touchweight?) for years.  But even before anyone
gives scientificological significance to that aspect of touchweight, does
*anyone* (the frustration is peaking again!) know:

What amount of force _should be required_ in order to *break* interia?
What about the amount of force required sustain enough motion as to
thwart interia's intent to slow/stop a hammershank w/hammer?

NOTE: inertia: n. 1. The tendency of a physical body to remain at rest or
of a body in motion to stay in motion in a straight line unless
disturbed by an external force.  2. Resistance to motion, action, or change.

Ron Torrella                  "Dese are de conditions dat prevail."
School of Music                           --Jimmy Durante
University of Illinois