Angular Acceleration in a Piano Key -Reply -Forwarded

Jack Reeves reevesj@BYUGATE.BYU.EDU
Thu, 05 Jan 1995 16:41:16 -0700

Vince: I don't know how to repeat what was said in a previous post without
typing it, so if you will send this out to the rest of the subscribers, I
bet some would appreciate it.

A "D" inherently has more inertia problems because of its longer keys. They
obviously have more mass than shorter keys to accelerate and the problem
is exacerbated by the fact that the back check and key leads are mounted
farther from the center of rotation for the key than in shorter keys (mo-
ment of inertia is equal to the square of the distance from the center of
rotation). Before I give you any suggestions for the piano, tell me if you
have replaced any parts other than knuckles and, in general, what you have
done with the instrument. See Ya.