More about inertia

Michael Wathen 556-9565 Michael.Wathen@UC.Edu
Fri, 06 Jan 1995 22:20:00 -0500 (EST)

Ken Sloane wrote this.....

        Mike at Cincinnati: Thanks for your clarification on
        acceleration vs. speed. It's an important point to be
        aware of in this discussion. I don't think, however, that
        analyzing the acceleration of a key/hammer system with
        touch weights will reveal anything pertinent to inertia
        as it relates to the pianist.

Okay, Ken, I can't let you get away with this.  Give me more
support for this statement.

By the way, too little inertia is also a problem for actions.
The pianist will claim that he has no control especially when
playing soft.  If your school is like ours then you must have a
few of those Steinway Teflon actions which you have completely
replaced with cloth action parts from Renner or Steinway.  These
pianos are very difficult to correct. We even had a series of
Steinways with Felt knuckles and teflon action parts. These
pianos require something more than reweighing and trimming
hammers.  This is my motivation for asking about all these
things.

Michael Wathen