50 line article/fandrich closing

John Minor jminor@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Sun, 08 Jan 1995 12:36:21 -0600

I found this on rec.music.makers.pianos:
John Minor
University of Illinois
PS. How should we list the size of email for those concerned with
downloading...by lines or by Kilobytes?
______________

                by Katherine Hedland
                Daily World writer

Fandrich Piano Company isn't making much music these days.

The company that was heavily recruited and highly promoted when it set
up shop at the Port of Grays Harbor has hit a low note.  Instead of
building its one-of-a-kind upright pianos, the company is repairing
and rebuilding other pianos to keep its cash flow going.

"We've had just about every kind of problem a startup company can
have," said owner and manufacturer Del Fandrich.  "We're not making
pianos now, but that's temporary."

Under the name Northwest Piano Rebuilders, Fandrich is taking in
pianos from around the country for repairs.  He said he has
unsolicited orders for Fandrich pianos lined up, and expects he will
again make his trademark instrument.

A Fandrich piano is known for having the touch and feel of a grand
piano in an upright because of its patented "action" mechanism.
Fandrich, though reluctant to discuss his company's problems, is
frustrated at the inability to produce the pianos that he knows can be
a success.

The company has reportedly had trouble establishing capital and
producing the pianos fast enough, business people familiar with the
company say.

"They haven't figured out the proper way to manufacture them
efficiently, but I think they're on the track," said Dan Barnette, the
Port's real estate manager.

There have also been some management shakeups.  Fandrich's wife,
Barbara, who helped manage the company's finances while her husband
concentrated on the design, has moved away from the Harbor.  It's
unclear what the future holds for the couple and their company.

Fandrich said the company is going through a transition and he's not
sure how it will all be settled.

Fandrich laid off nearly all his dozen employees but now has four
people working.

Fandrich Piano decided to locate at the Port in February 1992 after
two years of being recruited by officials in Grays Harbor and Oregon.
At the time, Barbara Fandrich predicted the company would eventually
employ up to 300 people to make 275 pianos per year.

The company attracted national attention and the Fandrichs drew
hundreds to open houses featuring tours and special performances.

With Fandrich Piano poised to be a key tenant, the Port won a $2
million federal grant to build a warehouse for the company on Murphy
Street in Hoquiam.  The building was completed in June, and Fandrich
moved in August.

Barnette said the company is current under the terms of its lease,
though it did fall behind in past months.

"As long as they're paying the rent, we're not concerned," Barnette
said.  "Our function is not to run their business.  Our function is to
lease the building."

He said the building was not constructed specifically for Fandrich,
but having a prospective tenant helped win the grant.  The piano
company occupies about 13,000 square feet in the new building.  About
8,300 square feet are still vacant.

The Port is pulling for the piano company to make a comeback.

"We want very much for them to succeed," Barnette said.  "I think with
a little bit of luck and a lot of planning and hard work they'll come
through this."