Bridge pins, etc.

Ron Torrella torrella@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Tue, 17 Jan 1995 10:32:36 -0600

On Mon, 16 Jan 1995, Conrad Hoffsommer wrote:

> There is a Baldwin E in a practice room which has been universally
> disliked. Tone is thin and tinny. I believe that tone will improve
> if the bridge pins are replaced. This instrument has been *rebuilt*
> and the original pins have been replaced with DRILL ROD.

[deleted general wisdom]

> Question: If the bridge is in good shape ie. not split/cracked, etc.,
> what problems am I likely to encounter in re-replacing pins other
> than hastening future splits due to greater deflection of the
> string because of increases in diameter?

What guage is the drill rod they used? (Drill rod -- isn't that stuff
fairly hard to cut?!  Sheesh!)  In your shoes, I would try to get the
closest size -- it may even have to be a little bigger but a thousandth
or so isn't going to cause that much trouble (in my experience).  Going
with a smaller guage could be troublematic.  Getting the pins to lean
properly could be tricky especially with their tendency to want to pop up
when you tap a neighbor in.  *Definitely* use epoxy.  If the next size up
will mean too much stress and the next size smaller too much slop in the
hole, you may want to consider recapping.  Remember, you're dealing with
a practice room piano.  That's a technician's dream piano for experiments
-- unless it's one o' them thar 'spensive, new Steinways -- which it
probably ain't!

Have fun!

Ron Torrella                  "Dese are de conditions dat prevail."
School of Music               --Jimmy Durante
University of Illinois