Just me on my soap box for a moment

David Porritt dporritt@sun.cis.smu.edu
Tue, 17 Jan 1995 11:01:46 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 17 Jan 1995 psloffer@ucs.indiana.edu wrote:

> Hi to all:
>
> This is in response to the recent post about tuning for concerts
> and so forth where use of a "strobe" is not wanted.
>
> I have never seen a "strobe" give good results.  Taken at his
> word the manager is correct about not wanting the piano tuned
> with a strobe.  However, it is more likely he is using the term
> strobe to include any electronic devise including the accu-tuner.
>
> I have tuned pianos for many kinds of performances for the 15
> years or so that I have worked a IU.  Until I bought my accu-
> tuner last fall all these tunings were aural.  I posted several
> questions about using the accu-tuner, one of them concerned using
> the thing to tune for concerts.  While most of us who use the SAT
> are happy with what it does for us, most of the responses to my
> question about using it for concert tuning were no, never or
> seldom.  I found this interesting.  I have been very impressed
> with what the machine can do if used properly.  That is to say a
> good piano in good condition tuned with a good tuning stored in
> memory should yield good results.  But.................

Obviously the old "Strobo-Conn" was not adequate.  I've been tuning
aurally for 20 years and I've had my SAT only 2.  I just think it's time
we recognized this technology for what it is...very good.

> So where does this all lead or leave us?  Personally I am glad
> to know how to tune aurally.  I am also glad to have the accu-
> tuner because it makes work easier especially pitch changes.
> And frankly I am not sure what I would say to someone starting
> out about how to learn to tune.

In my class here at SMU I teach aural tuning techniques even tho probably
none of these students will ever become technicians.  Just in case 1 every
5 years decides to take it seriously I would want them to have aural
techniques down.

Dave Porritt
SMU