Steinway Shoulder nut

Ron Torrella torrella@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Tue, 17 Jan 1995 11:45:58 -0600

I wonder what tricks have been devised in the removal/replacement (with
the original -- as opposed to replacing new) of the shoulder nut that
doesn't have squared sides (the one that's typically in the center of the
elongated X at the rear, left on the plate).  I've never been able to get
that thing off or on without munging the finish and/or leaving "teeth
marks" (from the vice-grips!! not my own teeth!).  I've heard of
loosening the bottom part first while holding the top part stationary --
easier said than done.  I've seen where other rebuilders have gone ahead
and munged the thing up then turned it back smooth on a grinder (not
particularly elegant looking!).  Is there some kind of tool -- not unlike
an oil filter wrench -- that one can make or buy that will do this task
with elegant (graceful, even) results?

Thanks a mil!

Ron Torrella                  "Dese are de conditions dat prevail."
School of Music                           --Jimmy Durante
University of Illinois