Marketing & RPT status

MSTORY@ewu.edu MSTORY@ewu.edu
Tue, 17 Jan 1995 11:30:40 -0800 (PST)

First of all, greetings, it's good to be back. My old UUCP gateway was having
problems with the listserv for some reason. Recently, an old PS/2 30-286 had
become available due to the retirement of a professor, so they gave it to me.
It's just good enough to serve as a terminal for the VAX server here. Please
bear with me while I learn this arcane mail server and editor.

On the topic of educating artists and promoters: My experience has been
similar. I would rather work for an artist that was either totally ignorant
of technical matters, or one that was very well informed. As an example - the
last time I worked for George Winston (don't laugh), I was forwarded a ten or
twelve page suppliment to the technical rider of the contract that was written
specifically for the Piano Tech. It went into great (though slighly muddled)
detail on how to tune a piano (I guess they were afraid they would have to use
a stagehand to tune somewhere ;), and _very_ specific instruction on not only
how, but precisely _which_ notes he wanted voiced (so much for the myth of
spontanious improvisation). When I digested this dissertation, I realized that
all he really wanted was a decent tuning and voicing. The effect was, that
because the house management interpreted the rider as calling for modifications
to the piano, they refused to allow the house Steinway to be used. So, the
promoter had to pay to have the local CD moved in. I had a little talk with
George's manager and pointed out how there were better ways of insuring quality
prep work. He asked if I wanted to tour with them (har). I politely declined andoffered instead
to give them some names in their tour cities.

In short, I don't think we'll ever be rid of this problem - but will continue tobe one of the
challenges, along with ambient noise and environmental changes andinsufficient time, that
concert techs will have to learn to deal with.