prePARED cover

Mon, 23 Jan 1995 21:52:14 -0600

Esteemed collegues,

And you thought the XMAS cover was controversial? As a newbie I
don't know if the subject of prepared pianos has flown around.

Our Journal editor certainly is the wizard of understatement when
the description of the art says" a source ofsome controversy for
technicians."

Fortunately, the occasion hasn't arisen lately, but the last time
a student wanted to do a piece for *prepared* piano I requested a
look at the score . After reading the directions, I told the student
that I wouldn't allow it. That was that, and another piece was
performed.

Another occasion, I allowed a piece which used non-mettalic sound
modifiers. I'v got them convinced that they should consult me
first before programming such things.

Am I being a good guardian of the instruments, or throttling
artistic expression?
:-O
Big fish in a very small pond - Conrad