prePARED cover

David Porritt dporritt@sun.cis.smu.edu
Tue, 24 Jan 1995 08:05:00 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 23 Jan 1995, Conrad Hoffsommer wrote:

> Esteemed collegues,
>
> And you thought the XMAS cover was controversial? As a newbie I
> don't know if the subject of prepared pianos has flown around.
>
> Our Journal editor certainly is the wizard of understatement when
> the description of the art says" a source ofsome controversy for
> technicians."
>
> Fortunately, the occasion hasn't arisen lately, but the last time
> a student wanted to do a piece for *prepared* piano I requested a
> look at the score . After reading the directions, I told the student
> that I wouldn't allow it. That was that, and another piece was
> performed.
>
> Another occasion, I allowed a piece which used non-mettalic sound
> modifiers. I'v got them convinced that they should consult me
> first before programming such things.
>
> Am I being a good guardian of the instruments, or throttling
> artistic expression?
> :-O
> Big fish in a very small pond - Conrad

I don't know if you are throttling artistic expression or not.  I know I
don't have the authority to modify programs here at SMU.  Generally it is
agreed here that most works for "prepared piano" will be performed on one
particular piano.  That way I kind of "sacrifice" only one instrument.
However, visiting artists that have come at the school's invitation have a
right to play what they please.  If we invite them, we take that risk.

We have a resident group "Voices of Change" that performs only
contemporary music so obviously prepared piano is very common.
Fortunately the director/pianist is totally professional and knows how to
"prepare" a piano without wrecking it.  Interestingly, her husband is a
very knowledgable piano technician by avocation.

Most of the time prepared piano things are not a problem here.  If the
real professionals perform it I don't have any trouble.  If a student is
going to do it I can help them prepare the piano, and designate which
piano they will use.

Dave Porritt
SMU