prepared

PHIL SLOFFER, MA067 855-1244 psloffer@ucs.indiana.edu
Tue, 24 Jan 1995 11:34:53 -0500

We have several "designated hitters" which the composition people
and other inside players are required to use.  We try very hard
to make those piano work for them and thereby keep them off the
good stuff.  The flip side of the coin is that over time the
hitters have been damaged to a point where some of the inside
players can hardly use them.  It is one thing to have just the
damper heads you want to play marked but when they are all marked
up it is hard to see your own marks.  Tuning also gets tricky
because junk that has been stuck to the strings causes funny
things to happen to partials.  Beats get weird as a result.

We have posted a notice that the concert grands are not to be
used for inside playing.  Most of the time this is observed.  We
provide a  piano for inside use and try to accommodate their
needs as best we can.  This limits any damage done to 1 or 2
pianos.

We even have an old Sabathil harpsichord which is used for
playing inside.  A recital was given once where the guy played
the harpsichord inside and completely destroyed the tuning.  All
the pieces that followed sounded awful.  While I was not happy to
see the harpsichord played inside, I was very amused to witness
the results inflicted on the tuning and what it did for the rest
of the recital.

Phil Sloffer                  Indiana University School of Music
psloffer@ucs.indiana.edu                          Bloomington IN