Hammer steaming testimonial

Daniel Dover Daniel.Dover@Dartmouth.EDU
Tue, 23 May 1995 11:18:03 -0400 (EDT)

To Dave Stanwood:

A thousand thanks for your tip on steaming hard hammers to bring down the
brightness.
It works beautifully, and so fast!  Just a split second for each hammer in the
spout, with a good head of steam.

I've been going around to all the practice room grands here at Dartmouth and it
makes a huge difference.

My confession:  The very first hammer I tried steaming (a Steinway 'L' in a
practice room), I flipped the hammer into the spout and it got caught!  In a
panic I of course made things worse by sloshing boiling water into the hammer
(the kettle was too full-- you only need a little water.)  Boy was I glad no
one was around.  Anyway, that one hammer is kind of a funny shape right now
(I'll leave it to your imagination-- don't try it) and eventually I'll have to
replace it, but you know it really doesn't sound all that bad!

Anyway, that was my training cost, and it was well worth it.

Thanks again, Dave.

Danny Dover
Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH