blocked action

Tunrboy@aol.com Tunrboy@aol.com
Fri, 03 Nov 1995 23:29:16 -0500

Okay, now I know the topic is probably cold, but I had a similar problem as
our colleague tuesday night wrote about.  I came to a DH Baldwin grand today
and found the una corda not functioning.  Rather than stomping on it, I
pulled the cheek blocks and tried to pull the action.  Wouldn't budge.  I
pulled the shifter out, still wouldn't budge.  I tried lifting the action, no
chance.  Then I spied a bit of gunk that looked like wood glue on the front
rail, keyframe and keybed.  I thought, "sap?"   I called the customer in as I
pried the action free.
Evidently she had had a student vomit on the piano two weeks ago.  What was
left after mop-up dried *hard* to the action.  I'd like to get a patent on
that kid's stomach contents, one helluva glue that was!

Eric Leatha
tunrboy@aol.com