Rebuilders

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Tue, 02 Apr 1996 20:08:29 -0500

Fred writes;
>If we cannot define rebuilding, how can we create a rebuilder
classification?

What rebuilding is depends on who is using the word, i.e.,

  A technician often sees the need for various levels of rebuilding, from
just restringing, to complete soundboard jobs, from filing hammers to
complete action replacements.
   An average owner, in their home, perhaps with the 2.2 kids taking lessons,
 will look at anything over $1,000 as major work, and often consider their
instrument to be "rebuilt".

        It is the duty of all technicians that care about the industry,
trade, and future of pianos, to not only deliver clean, durable work; but,
 to also,  EDUCATE, EDUCATE, EDUCATE!!

       The more knowledgable the customer base,  the harder it becomes for
poor work to sustain a poor technician.  If the customers know enough, they
will either improve their work, go elsewhere, or find another job.
      (OK, that last sentence shows a bit of idealism, but  we have to trust
Karma somewhere.)

"What kind of soap was in that box?"

Ed Foote

     ( Forgive me if I rave;  this a.m.  I saw  a families 1928 Steinway L,
that while being inherited, was "rebuilt".  New pinblock, 5/0 pins, 15
in./lbs. torque. ???? Untunable.
         Splitting brass rails in the action, hammers resembled a drunken
conga line , the dampers looked like a little bitty train wreck.
      There was no budget left to correct the damage, much sadness all