Casters (soft vs hard)

EHILBERT@midd.middlebury.edu EHILBERT@midd.middlebury.edu
Sat, 06 Apr 1996 23:22:07 -0500 (EST)

Hi John,
      Aren't those big Grotrian casters beautiful?  But when you park the
piano and lock the brakes, I would suggest that you always leave the casters
parked in line with the front to back direction.  When turned sideways they
can cause the leg to flex outward (or inward) and thus flex the keybed and
that can affect keybedding etc.
      As for the agraffes on the bridge, I have an old Sohmer grand with
the same system.  I also have a customer with a tiny Broadwood grand that
uses only one bridge pin per string on the bass strings.  A large deflection
to the side on the way to the hitch pin causes the termination to be successful.One advantage
to this system is that the bridge is (mildly) pointed in the
middle where the bridge pin is located.  As a result there is never a concernb
about how much front or back bearing there is on the bridge - only that there
 is the right amount.
      Isn't interesting how many variations on a theme there can be?
Ed Hilbert