Dekalb deregulation

Mark Story mstory@ewu.edu
Wed, 10 Apr 1996 11:06:49 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 9 Apr 1996, Lawrence A. Gardner wrote:

> Since I noticed some hammers blocking, I went ahead and adjusted the letoff on
> all 88 notes, and since I noticed some excessive(!) drop I then pulled the
> action to regulate it.  Low and behold, on most of the notes the drop screw was
> already as high as it would go against the flange.

Hi Larry,

These two things would make me suspicious that the action brackets were
expanding (pot metal).  Take a look at them.  If they are, they would be
a dull grey color with cracks running along them.  Another tip-off is
that sometimes tuners will shim one of the rails as a stop-gap (doesn't
really correct the problem - just keeps it playing for a while longer).

The solution for this is replacement with cast iron brackets.  I've done
this a couple of times.  It's a pretty big job, but satisfying that you
know you've really corrected the problem.  If you need help convincing the
owners, you can tell them that the brackets usually keep expanding until
the piano won't play anymore.

Mark Story, RPT

mstory@ewu.edu
Eastern Washington University Music Department
Cheney, Washington, USA
http:www.class.ewu.edu/MUSIC/Department/music.html