Lyre repair

Mark Graham magraham@baldwinw.edu
Wed, 10 Apr 1996 22:54:23 -0400 (EDT)

When a lyre starts coming apart, how bad an idea is it to glue the
components together? I have some pedal-stomping customers who cause the
side posts of the lyre to separate from the top piece and sometimes the
bottom as well. Steinway and other makes have them attached by wedges, but I
cam't seem to get those to hold for long.
I assume there's a good reason for using wedges. What do I need to do?
By the way, I am new to the pianotech forum, and really have to salute
the way people are ready to give helpful assistance. I remember when I
was new to the trade, I had problems getting knowledgeable people to part
with information. This is much better! Many thanks, Mark Graham