Lyre repair

Robert Husssa hussa@odi.cwc.whecn.edu
Wed, 10 Apr 1996 21:05:22 -0600 (MDT)

This idea is related to your questions, so I thought I'd post it.
Frequently I've had problems with the entire lyre coming out of the
keybed, due to screw mounting tearing out the wood fibers and wallowing
out the holes.  What to do?  Here's a solution given to me by my dear
departed step-father, a gunsmith.  I've used it more than once, and it works:

Fill the holes with slow-set (regular) Epoxy glue, mixed with fine
hardwood sawdust (oak works well).  Allow the glue to set up a bit, a few
minutes to 30 minutes.  Cover the offending large screw threads with a
light coating of grease, slowly thread in the screw part way.  Glue will
ooze out of the hole; wipe it off.  Back the screw out, reapply a light
coating of grease.  Continue until the screw is at the level you need.
The grease keeps the epoxy from gluing the screw in the hole.  Allow to
dry thoroughly with the screw in the hole.  You end up with custom-cut
threads for the screw which will not pull out.  The lyres I've fixed this
way are still tight after 10 years of home use.

Robert Hussa
Music Department
Central Wyoming College
2660 Peck Ave.