PIANOTECH digest 257

Yardbird47@aol.com Yardbird47@aol.com
Thu, 11 Apr 1996 00:20:03 -0400

Mike Bigham rote, 4/10:
<<When I checked the una-corda I discovered that the keyframe was riding on
the unacorda lever so I released the "suspension" and checked the voicing and
found that tone was very weak.>>

When this bandaid is successful, it's usually to move the set of hammers
which may be minimally grooved over just enough so tha the hammer can strike
with a part of its crown which is curved instad of flat. But if the tech
knows how to apply the bandaid correctly, he/she will put a shim between the
keyframe' bass side and the bumper block. That way, the continuous pressure
of the shift return spring can be born by the bumper block which is a.)
solid, and b.) first in line among the things which will receive that
pressure. Doing as your "he-who-does-no-wrong" tech did puts that pressure on
parts below (shift lever mounting blocks, rod bushings, and pedal centers).
Because they are responsible for providing the shift, they are not solid and
shouldn't be asked to should that pressure continuously.

The usual shim is a  business cards halfway down the length of the bumper
block. After a few months, you fold it double. (And, yes, do takemout the
play in the UC pedal.)

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter PTG

"When writing a mental note, first procure a mental piece of paper"
............mental graffitti