Dekalb deregulation

Yardbird47@aol.com Yardbird47@aol.com
Thu, 11 Apr 1996 00:21:42 -0400

Larry Gardner rote, 4/9/96:
<<Just my luck.  I know, Dekalb = Wurltizer.
Anyway, if you believe the number written in ball point pen on the plate,
it's a 1918  4? foot grand.>>

Mine had a 5/8" outer rim, the action brackets were laminated sheet metal
(pot-metal brackets may have been the earlier style), and there was no
fallboard. (The front stretcher unscrewed from tiny angles up by the rim, and
lifted straight up. Then you could get at the keyblock fasteners.)

<<Since I noticed some hammers blocking, I went ahead and adjusted the letoff
on all 88 notes, and since I noticed some excessive(!) drop I then pulled the
action to regulate it.  Low and behold, on most of the notes the drop screw
was already as high as it would go against the flange. >>
The suggestions to look for flat knuckles and spreading action spread are
solid ones. Don't over-look badly overcentering shanks. Maybe the hammer bore
was too short causing the
knuckle as it follows the hammer upwards to ask the rep lever to go higher
than what would allow for a normal drop. Who knows, maybe the "rebuilder"
inadvertantly added 1/2" to the string height

A page in a book with THE regulating spec? as if! Actions like this get
regulated on a guide note, on which you prove that the settings can get both
an approx 1.75" blow and a .390" dip. (If not both, then I'd go for the .390"
dip leaving the pianist with something familar-feeling.) Worse come to worse,
you can recover the drop pads with nameboard felt (-the self adhesive kind
will give  you a softer glue line).

Keep careful notes of your adventures here, because it would make a very
interesting journal article (....."Regulation the Ragged", hmmmm...)

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter PTG

"When writing a mental note, first procure a mental piece of paper"
............mental graffitti