Seek Carved Cabriole Legs and/or Lyre-1878 Steinway "C"

TSORICH@aol.com TSORICH@aol.com
Thu, 11 Apr 1996 01:10:43 -0400

I'm looking for a source of these cabriole legs and/or matching lyre for my
personal piano, i.e. an 1878  7'2" Steinway Style 2  (7- octave, "early C"
grand, rosewood, Serial #37953).  (Someone put modern legs and lyre on the
piano sometime in the past).  I'd prefer the original legs off a piano
otherwise damaged (or that has had more modern legs put on it).   I know
people in the industry come across these old legs from time to time and I'd
rather try to locate these in contrast to having them machine duplicarved or
hand-carved.  These are rather massive S-shaped legs -- not the symmetrical
spindle-type legs typically turned on a lathe.

I'm not too concerned about the condition of these legs, or the type of wood
that was used, as long as they are reasonably restorable.  I've checked
previously with Steinway and was advised that legs this massive are not
available there.
I don't have a set of good template legs for the carving alternative
(although I have obtained a set of similar Weber cabriole legs off another
large grand) and I'd prefer to avoid the carving alternative if I can
(regardless of whether this involves sketches, photos, or making impressions
of legs of the type desired).

The existing (modern) lyre has a 3-pedal box but an ornate lyre with a
2-pedal box would also suffice as the 1878 sostenuto mechanism is primitive
at best.

Although not as desirable, I'd also be interested in any existing
round/symmetrical Steinway legs and/or matching lyre designed for a 7'2"
grand -- e.g. the type with "donut" rings adding interest to the legs' shape.
 (But, not the round legs, with 'donut rings', used on the 6'1" Steinway A's
-- these are not as graceful and, presumably, would not be as strong).

Pls. respond to either tsorich@aol.com or call my home number -- (415)
574-5409.

Thanks, Ted Sorich