hide the glue.........

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Fri, 12 Apr 1996 13:22:07 -0400

Steve Birkett writes;
> The  proteins only start to break down if you keep the stuff cooking >all
day in your glue pot..

       It has been my understanding all these years that the deterioration of
protein glue is due to the increasing amount of bacteria that, with
sufficient time at the right temperature,  will grow in the glue.
        It has been my practise to mix a fresh batch of glue for each action,
and , beginning with the dampers, work my way through keybushing, keyframe
felting, lifter felts, etc.  finally ending up with hammmers.  Out of 15
action restorations in the school, over the last 14 years,  there have been
four hammers that have broken their joint, so I must wonder if the glue
strength really does decrease with heat time.  I leave the gluepot on from
start to finish, and the time between the first and last use of the glue
rarely exceeds three days.
       Is this out of the ordinary?  How do we all use hot hide glue?
      And I must agree with S. Birkett,  the Franklin liquid hide glue has
nothing going for it when compared to the real thing, though I have seen it
used HOT with better results than straight out of the bottle.

Regards to all,
Ed Foote
Precision Piano Works
Nashville, Tn.