Lyre repair

McNeilTom@aol.com McNeilTom@aol.com
Fri, 12 Apr 1996 23:17:39 -0400

TUNERJIM writes:  I've had good luck with dowels inserted horizontally
through both members.

Last week I had the challenge of repairing the lyre on a Steinert (imitation
Steinway) grand.  The upper member, which mounts to the bottom of the keybed,
had broken years ago. (This was probably because the lyre was mounted without
the diagonal braces once upon a time.)   A functional repair was done by
gluing up the fracture and reinforcing the whole business with two half-inch
wooden dowels going front-to-back into this upper member.  The dowels were
not carefully spaced, and each intersected an upright member of the lyre, one
just barely.  Well, the original mortise & tenon joints failed - as they so
often do.  However, in this case, the joint was locked together (but not very
tightly) by the dowels, rendering disassembly difficult.  I bored out the
dowels, disassembled the lyre, then repaired in the usual fashion.  When all
was sound again, I decided to replace the dowels.  (Maybe the earlier
technician had reason to doubt the strength of his repair?!)  I rebored the
holes, this time going all the way through.  Cut two half-inch steel dowels
 (Old Elmer used to call 'em 'Sweedish Dowels'.) to length and drove them in
_without glue_.  Ship builders call these "drifts", and they work just like
giant nails.  They will hold forever with just their friction fit, and
they're tremendously strong.  Best of all:  Should they need to be removed
again, they may be driven out with a hammer and punch.

Another idea I've used is to drill holes just a little bit under-sized for a
tuning pin through the upper member and into the upright members.  Then
tuning pins can be driven in to reinforce the joint.  If these are left
protruding half an inch (or whatever) they can be removed later by unscrewing
them.

-           Tom McNeil           -
Vermont Piano Restorations