Tension gauge (was teflon lube)

Charles Ball ckball@mail.utexas.edu
Sun, 14 Apr 1996 10:44:22 -0500

At 09:25 AM 4/14/96 -0600, you wrote:
>Thanks for the additional info, John. The fact is, I've been
>considering something other than the spring-type, and since the
>(Marinelli) Pianotek dial-type units are $119.00 US, I thought I might
>be missing... something.
>
>Jim Harvey RPT

Greetings Jim,

Although I agree with you that many of the items carried by Pianotek carry a
big price tag, I must say that I have found most of the tools I have
acquired from Bob filled a need that I have had for years.  I am grateful
that we have such a diversity of fine products available today, and support
several suppliers.

However, regarding the dial resistance guage, such as the one you seem to
refer to above, I acquired mine several years ago at a convention at some
cost, and would proudly pull it out from time to time to check centers on
underlevers and reps (I have a strong preference for the swing test for
hammershanks).  Eventually I concluded that I could do a better job by feel
and by using gram weights.

Last year I retired it totally after a visit from Bill Garlick.  We had been
discussing action centering, and Bill asked to see my guage.  He
demonstrated to me conclusively (with gram weights) that the readings were
quite low.  Our very basic supply house model was more accurate!

Perhaps this particular guage was an anomaly, but the experience taught me
that even high priced measuring devices require checking and, if possible,
calibration.

Regards,

Charles

Charles Ball