Pet Peeves

Ron Nossaman nossaman@southwind.net
Sun, 14 Apr 1996 22:07:24 -0500 (CDT)

At 05:05 AM 4/14/96 -0600, you wrote:
>To All:
>
>I have two pet peeves, and perhaps there is someone out there who can
>resolve them for me:
>
>     Rebuilders who erase the serial number on the plate;
>
>     Manufacturers who run an extra length of wire through the becket
>and then bend it around the pin.  It makes string replacement so much fun.
>
>Fred

>Fred W. Tremper, RPT
>Morehead State University
>Morehead, KY 40351
>f.trempe@msuacad.morehead-st.edu

No resolution here, Fred, but you're overlooking three or four thousand
equally irritating things that also deserve mention and are of a more
immediate nature. How about, for instance, tuning pins too close to a
pressure bar for you to get a tip on? How about tuning pins spaced so badly
that the strings must zigzag between two more pins before reaghing the
pressure bar? This makes accurate setting of the string nearly impossible
and I've seen far many more of these than rebuilt pianos without serial
numbers. Incidentally, would the guys who do this number disappearance trick
be called serial killers? Just a thought.
 Ron Nossaman