Tension gauge (was teflon lube)

Jim_Harvey@yca.CCMAIL.CompuServe.COM Jim_Harvey@yca.CCMAIL.CompuServe.COM
Mon, 15 Apr 1996 23:24:02 -0400 (EDT)

This is interesting news, Charles.

To make sure I understand, you are qualifying the spring-type tension
gauge as: (1) the "basic supply house model", and (2) being superior,
i.e., more accurate than it's (or your) expensive counterpart?

If so, this is good news. Since several replies have mentioned the
gauge, MY version of the 'spring-type' that John M. first mentioned is
from APSCO, Cat.#96, pg. 22, #15399, and called 'Spring Tension
Gauge'.

With that out of the way, I can admit that since my tangential comment
to John, I dug out the above gauge and have been playing with it. I
now remember why I didn't like it initially. If you'll pardon one of
my use of a word that doesn't exist -- "stiction", it will help
explain why I didn't like the gauge at first.

By the time the spring of the gauge overcame the stiction of the part,
the 'pointer' would jump downscale. Along with the pointer went my
reading.

However, after playing with it for a couple days on different parts, I
realize that this was pilot error on my part. With more patience than
I was exercising, I've been able to get consistent readings at the
*moment* the part starts to move, and before the indicator goes
downhill. Now I've even progessed to measuring each pinned side for
consisistency.

Apparently patience IS a virtue... I just saved myself $119.00!

About your dial-type gauge. I hope you didn't buy it from Marinelli at
an exhibit. If so, it's probably the one I handled, wanted, drooled
on, and therefore caused to rust! <G>

Regards, and thanks!

Jim Harvey, RPT