soften over-lacquered hammers?

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Tue, 16 Apr 1996 09:54:19 -0400

Joe Ross asks,

> Even the
crown of the hammer has been lacquered. Does anyone have any suggestions for
softening these rocks? Someone suggested a few drops of lacquer thinner on
>the crown.
------------
     It was the nature of recording technology here in Nashville that
required, (or so say the "old-line" engineers), really bright pianos.  By the
time digital equipment, and better microphones came in, there were a number
of pianos that were way over the top!
      Many  were not salvageable, but in an attempt to restore SOME kind of
tonal range, I tried acetone on the hammers,  and I am not talking about a
few drops,  more like a teaspoon, right on the top.  I think that as the
solvent migrated through the felt, it carried some of the laquer away from
the strike point,  but it was still a compromised hammer.
    Perhaps the use of pliars may help; since you are really in a nose dive,
try anything!!
My advice is to try these remedies,  but be ready to replace the set.  (BTW<
 was this laquering done to get at least some sound out of a dead
soundboard>?)

Good luck, you will need it!
Ed Foote