marketing materials

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Tue, 16 Apr 1996 19:53:50 -0400

To the list:

Every month for the past two years I have been sending out a newsletter to my
customers to remind them it is time to get their piano tuned. Included in the
newsletter is a blurb about the brochures and technical bulletins PTG has
available, asking them to call me if they are interested in any of them.
Since I have been doing this, (I send out about 100 newsletters per month), I
have only gotten one request. Last year I sent out 250 newsletters to piano
teachers along with the "Special care for the teaching piano" brochure, and
got only one teacher to call me about it. Am I the only one who is getting
such poor response, or is this par for the course?

Instead of getting all sorts of suggestions on how to use these things, I
would like to conduct a brief survey. Below is a list of questions I would
like you to answer. To save memory space, please respond to the questions by
numbers. (in other words, do not repeat the entire document). A simple yes or
no is sufficient. If you want to make additional comments, please do so on a
seperate post.

When I ask for which brochure or bulletin, please inducate by letter.
a. How often should my piano be serviced.
b. How should I take care of my piano?
c. The special care of the teaching piano.
Tech bulletins
d. pitch raising
e. humidity control
f.  voicing
g. finish care
h. regulation
i.  rebuilding

Questions:

1. Have you ever bought brochure or technical bulletins?   (if no, go to
question 13)
2. Which one(s).
3. Do you send them to your customers unsolicited on a regular basis?
4. Which one(s)
5. Do you tell customers you have them, and wait for them to ask for them?
6. Which one(s)
7. Do you give them to your customers as the need arises?
8. Which one(s)
9. Do you display brochure(s) at a dealer?
10. Which one(s)
11. Are you the dealer?   other dealer?
12. If you answered yes to 3, 5, 7, & 9, on a scale of 1 -10, (with 10 being
the most,) how much do you think these brochures have helped your business.
13. If you have never gotten brochures or bulletins, please indicate the
reason(s) you have not used them.
a. I did not know they were available
b. They are too expensive
c. I never think about using them.
d. I see no use for them
e. I don't think my customers would care about the topics of the
brochures/bulletins.
f.  I don't like the way they are written, or laid out.
g. other.
14. Are you an RPT, Associate, or non-member?

Thank you for responding to these questions. I will give the results after
they have been tabulated.

Please respond to my address, not to the list.

Wim Blees  RPT
St. Louis
wimblees@aol.com