quality bushing cloth

Ted_Sambell@BanffCentre.AB.CA Ted_Sambell@BanffCentre.AB.CA
Tue, 16 Apr 1996 18:25:12 -0600 (MDT)

        Reply to:   RE>quality bushing cloth
Ed.
Fletcher & Newman are still in business; the address is:
H..J. Fletcher & Newman Ltd.
Unit 10A
Dartford Trade Park
Powder Mill Lane
Dartford, Kent
U. K. DA1 1QB

In general, they classify cloth into four groups, baize, which is key-frame
backrail cloth and also used for front rail punchings (which they call
washers).  It comes in six thicknesses, 3mm to 7mm. The next is box cloth
which is like our action   (wippen) cloth.  There are five thicknesses,
1.4mm. to 3.0mm. Thirdly they have bushing cloth in five thicknesses,
0..85mm. to 1.4mm. Last is bearing  cloth for plates, 1.0mm. only. but
available  in Bluthner blue, Bechstein blue and billiard green.
The quality is excellent, and they certainly have more variety than we can
get here.
I trust this helps.
Sincerely, Ted Sambell.

--------------------------------------
Date: 4/15/96 6:40
To: Ted Sambell
From: pianotech
       For a number of years, following school, I used my supply of cloth
that we purchased in bulk for the class.
      It was from Fletcher and Newman, in England, and was called, I
believe,
 "box cloth".

It came in a variety of thicknesses, and was more durable than anything I
have seen since.

     Does anybody know if they are still in business?  And perhaps, is the
cloth still the same?
regards,
Ed Foote