Prepared Piano -Reply

Richard Adkins RADKINS@coe.edu
Wed, 17 Apr 1996 14:04:27 -0500

Dear Joseph,

    I've requested the pianists to

1: don't touch the strings with your bare fingers...causes them to rust
2. don't touch or alter the dampers
3. be careful when inserting varous bolts and screws to not
    deflect the strings abnormally or put nicks/kinks in the strings.
4. stay away from the wound stings if possible...or be extremely
    careful...do not use nuts/bolts...or hard metal objects on the
    soft copper wound strings....
5. never use any object to pluck or bang the strings that would
   nick, break, or bend a string...
6. i'd like to see what they are going to do .... and or be present to
    assist them when the do it...(if you have the time)

 john cage's music that calls for prepared piano  placement, size and
composition of objects....screws, bolts, rubber tuning wedges...
chalk board eraser....etc....i don't know about other composers....
a Steinway D or other concert grand is the same to me as a Stradivarius
or Guarnarius violin....they are the highest quality instruments
and should be treated with reverence....and great respect....they are not
chopping blocks...if they are CAREFUL....non of these will damage the
pianos....most of the composer/pianist are very resonable i think.
i've been told that at the university of iowa they have a piano designated
as the one to use for prepared piano music....and its NOT one of the
new concert grands....i should think that the people at stoneybrook
would be very sensitive to all this and sensable about it...

as one of our fellow techs said...."education, education,education"

{on the other hand...i know of a technician who told me that he felt than
any pianist that puts his hands inside the piano to play it should have
them cut off !!!!...of course he was joking...but also may have had to
go to the extra trouble to right some of the wrongs....and hence alittle
ticked....}

Richard Adkins
Coe College Music Department