White Center Felt

FirTree@aol.com FirTree@aol.com
Wed, 17 Apr 1996 22:57:02 -0400

>  BTW, an action cloth
>maker told me that there is nothing magic about the white center, and that
>any felt or woven cloth can be made that way by applying only enough dye to
>penetrate part way into the fabric.  He opined that the whole white-center
>mystique had actually originated as a manufacturing defect!  And now we seem
>to have fallen in love with it, so any manufacturer trying to please his
>fussiest customers is making his premium cloth that way.
>
>-           Tom McNeil           -
>Vermont Piano Restorations

I once sat in a class taught by someone from Charles A. House felt co., and
they said dyes USED to be unable to get to the center of the felt. New dyes
are so effective, they actually dip the felt in a dye retardent to keep the
center white.

BTW, I have seen them (House) mentioned in several posts as supplying felt
directly to end users (us), but no one has mentioned there phone number or
address. Anybody got it?
Dave Stocker, RPT
firtree@aol.com
Tumwater, WA