teflon lube

DBHersh@aol.com DBHersh@aol.com
Fri, 19 Apr 1996 16:52:39 -0400

>Hmmmmmmmmmmm, wonder what that BLACK substance is on the tops of
>the rep lever, and the jack tender??? : )

John & everyone,
BTW what is that goop on the underside of new Steinway rep lever spring
slots? Graphite? I know they have probably been using it for 100 years but on
the new ones I see it hasn't had time to harden and it is an incredible mess.
When you adjust the springs that stuff falls down on the keys and eventually
it even gets on the keybed and if you try to clean it up it makes more of a
mess. I'm sure it contributes to the knuckles becoming black, it really
creeps. Anyone know why they use that stuff as opposed to some new space-age
material.

Doug Hershberger,RPT