Swing Test

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Sat, 20 Apr 1996 17:51:23 -0600

>> recall seeing a hammerflange pinning weight years ago which supposedly
>>came from Steinway. This fit through the screw hole and friction was to be
>>set so that the flange slowly dropped when holding the shank.  I do not
>>know how much it weighed.
>
>     I have one of these.  It weighs 5.5 grams, has the Steinway logo on it

It used to come with the basic repinning kit Steinway sold. I don't know if
it still is available.

>and all. Giving a class ,(1978),  Fred Drasche demonstrated it's use.
>    He placed it in the flange,(large teflon), then shook the shank with his
>hand until the flange moved. He said if you cannot make the flange move, then
>the pinning is too tight!
>    This didn't make sense to me then, still doesn't now,  but that is the
>way it was shown.

It's quite logical, although rather inefficient in terms of accuracy. If it
doesn't move it's too tight and if it moves too fast it's too loose. You
know it weighs about five grams and once you get into it you can "feel" how
much friction is in the pin. I still prefer a gauge.

>    My point is,  any technician that carefully and properly repins a set of
>hammer shanks by either swinging the hammers, or using one gram spec. for all
>of them, will probably be closer to an ideal median,  than what the factory
>has sent out originally!!

Do not forget that the piano has changed since it left the factory. The
finest pinning possible may not survive a long-distance trek to a different
climate where it has been played a bit. But then, that's part of why we're
here, isn't it.

                        John

John Musselwhite, RPT
Calgary, Alberta Canada